November 9, 2010

How Much Sleep does a Baby Need?

I have been fretting about Jayden going to bed so early - since the time change he has been going down at 6:00.  Of course I start blaming PWS thinking that is why he sleeps so much.  Well, I did a quick google search to see just how much sleep a 20 month old should get and I found some interesting information.  Apparently, according to Dr. Sears, babies ages 6 to 24 months need a total of 12 to 14 hours of sleep a day.  That is nuts!  I guess it isn't unreasonable that Jayden is trying to get 12 (6pm to 6am).  He also naps for about 2 hours total during the day.  That puts him within the normal range.  I shall worry no more.  The boy needs his sleep (as do I!!)

Here is the link to Dr Sears:  http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071100.asp#T071121

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those things I learned from having a typical baby first! Kids need an awful lot of sleep! Dean seems to have missed that memo... well, Cole too. Oh well. :)

    ReplyDelete