December 21, 2010

Pulmonologist Check Up

We visited with a new pulmonologist this time around (so we could be seen at a closer location).  The pulmonologist asked many questions and quickly looked at Jayden's throat.  His recommendation was to not have another sleep study at this time and to continue check-ins once a year.  He reached this conclusion based on the following:

  1. Jayden has stayed on the same height and weight growth curves since his last sleep study.  (i.e. he is not overweight)
  2. He does not wake up at night gasping for air or choking.
  3. When he does have an apnea occurrence (stops breathing) while sleeping, it is only for a few seconds (according to my not-so-scientific observations) and he goes on sleeping afterward.
  4. Although he is a loud sleeper (he is a mouth breather) he is not snoring.  In fact, his snoring has improved since his last sleep study
  5. His tonsils, while present, are not abnormally large and therefore he does not seem to be at risk for obstruction.
All in all, I agreed with the pulmonologist that a second sleep study was not warranted at this time.  I am actually relieved that I can check that off my list!  Sleep studies are not fun and I would rather not have to go through one unless I think his apnea needs a closer monitoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment